Saturday 20 July 2013

Chatting with Cezanne

When we were in Perth during the week, I took the girls to the Art Gallery of WA. I know. I am still recovering.
 
But I desperately wanted to see the exhibition "Van Gogh, Dali and beyond" which is full of artworks currently on loan from the Museum of Modern Art.
 
I loved it!!
 
Even before we walked in, while we were waiting in line to enter, I caught a glimpse of the entry artworks through the door. Oh, my!!! There was the Van Gogh, but wait! Right next to it. There, glowing on the wall, a Cezanne still life!!! Ahhhhh!!!
 
*sob*


I could have stayed in front of this painting, blocking everyone else's view, for hours. But I had the girls with me, and standing still is not something they are renowned for! And so, on we went.
 
The girls found the kids' art activity section - yay....

 
And Miss E thought the view through the window into the next room was far more compelling than the stunning artwork on the wall. Hmmm.......
 

The second half of the exhibition was viewed at a rather rapid pace, but that wasn't too bad. I had to exit the room to take the girls to the toilet, which meant that we had to re-enter, past the Cezanne, in order to see the remainder. Really? I have to walk past the Cezanne again? If I must :) !
 
I haven't felt such an emotional response to an exhibition since I saw a Brett Whiteley show at the gallery in the late 1980s. I think. And the biggest difference in those 25 years in terms of gallery etiquette would have to be the plethora of technological devices that people now take with them into exhibitions, and the NUMBER of photos that they take - hey, I'm one of them (obviously!), but it just seemed, well, wrong.
 
Great exhibition, great day. And great buddies - my friend Julie and her son came with us and I am eternally grateful for her kid wrangling assistance while I was being hypnotised by Cezanne.
 
This exhibition is worth every cent, and, if I manage to get myself back to Perth before the exhibition closes in early December, I am going to have another chat with the Cezanne painting.
 
xx

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, I had no idea it was on, I must take the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful to be spellbound and inspired by something.
    That wonderful feeling that makes you want to grab whatever medium you work in and get creating.
    Good you had a friend there with you so you could make the most of the time you had......x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great - glad you managed to go - I'm going (on my own!!) on Friday, can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete